Friday, August 24, 2007

NEWS OF THE DAY...

URBAN REPORT...
For my segment on this Sunday's episode of Urban Zone with Daphne Osena, I chose the stunning Beaux Arts classic, The Luneta Hotel (above) as the starting point of my feature on "Walking around Historic Ermita". Left in disrepair and infested by squatters for almost ten years now, I was shocked to see activity happening within. The sight of the structure wrapped in yellow "CAUTION" cordons and construction workers hauling out bags of rubble made my heart race. "Good god. I knew this day would come.", I thought to myself. "Someone is finally tearing this beauty down." But when I asked the lady with a clip board behind a desk on the ground floor when the demolition would begin, she said, "Hinde igigiba. Irerestore ang building." (they aren't going to tear it down, it's going to be restored." "Whoa. Cool. No way! That's amazing", I said. But when I inquired who was doing the restoration, she replied, "Hindi ko pwede pang sabihin." (I can't divulge this information.) Well, whatever the case, I'm glad to see that there is still hope for this amazing structure. And if anyone out there has any information regarding this matter, please send it to me because this is really good news. And good news is hard to come by these days. Urban Zone will be shown around midnightish this Sunday August 26.

Oh. And Dominador Ferrer has finally been removed from his position as the Executive Director of Intramuros Administration. Hmmm. I wonder who GMA will choose next to spearhead the restoration and development of our historic walled city? Read another article about that here.

Thank you brownpau for the photocollage.