Saturday, January 28, 2006


eo asia 100
Binondo Church 1945,
uploaded by daeghraefn
I've been feeling kinda dark and gothic lately. I guess it's because it's the cusp between January and February. If that sounds kinda weird, I have my reasons. If Caesar had to beware the ides of March, I truly believe that it's the cusps of January and February that have always proven ominous for the Philippines. The establishment of the first Spanish settlement in Cebu by Legazpi, the execution of Gomez, Burgos, and Zamora, the outbreak of the Philippine-American War, The complete destruction of Manila in the end of World War II, EDSA I, and EDSA II are only a few of the things that have happened during the first quarter of the year in Philippine history. And in keeping with this tone, I want to show three links that I think fit this monthlong morbid mood. One link, sent by fellow blogger micketymoc, is a flickr site named, daeghraefn. It's a collection of black and white photos taken by a US soldier in transit from Honolulu to Tokyo. It's a rather concise compendium by a casual observer of the extent of Manila's horrific destruction exactly 61 years ago next month. Click here to see the snapshots. The other two links I found on site called One site is that of Manila Police morgue photos from the 1920's and the other are morgue shots of a lady who I SUSPECT could be Lolita Lalou, the lady who was dismembered by her lover on the 3rd floor of Syquia Apartments on MH del Pilar back in the 1920's or was it the1950's?). Either way, these sites contain some seriously sick s***, so don't click here or here you don't have the stomach for this sort of thing.