Wednesday, November 16, 2005

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER...

Or at least till the next typhoon blows them down.

Last August, I wrote a post about the current urban renewal projects happening on the Pasay side of Roxas Boulevard in downtown Manila. And although I reported that the street pavement patterns were promising (In brick toned swirly designs ala Copacabana in Rio de Janeiro) and haughtily taunted Manila City Hall that the Pasay side just might eclipse the Malate-Ermita side of Roxas Boulevard in terms of architectural beauty - I shall now eat my words with a side of humble pie. The new lamps are finally up and they are, um...hideous? surreal? aspirational? I still can't find the words to describe it. All I know is that I can't use the words "pretty" or "tasteful". They make the Malate-Ermita lamps look positively sublime in contrast. Sigh. The jeepney-fication of Manila goes on. I guess that isn't a bad thing though. I'd rather have tacky than decayed any day.