Thursday, August 11, 2005

AHEM!

CONFESSIONS OF A MIDGET LOVER
Apparently, it's all the rage to be anti-government right now so I think I'll buck this seditious trend.

And here goes.

I like Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.

There. I've admitted it. Wow. I feel like a weight has been lifted.

Actually, as of late, I have began to admire this tough as nails moody charmless bitch so much that I was even willing to go to the pro-GMA rally at Quirino Grandstand a few weeks ago. And I'm glad I did.

Granted, she isnt the best president in the world, but she is the only one I know that has a platform and agenda. No matter if it's a good or bad platform and agenda - at least she has one.

I'm also never worried her being drunk in cabinet meetings and official calls.

And although there was free water and sandwiches being passed around to others around me at the rally (I guess that was the payment for attending), I was delighted to see that the people who came were Filipinos of a higher quality than the kind seen at the anti-GMA protests. I saw teachers, professionals, some artistas and even a socialite or two. These were people I didn't mind considering as my countrymen. These were people who seemed to have their analytical processes in order. Not many of the easily bought glazed and toothless shabu (metamphetamine hydrochloride) runners so prevalent at the Ayala rallies organized by Mayor Binay.

And why am I pro-GMA? Simple. It's because I refuse to be a hypocrite. For me to feign moral indignation for her actions when everybody else in the election cheated as well is just plain inanity (Apparently, Jamby Madrigal, Loren Legarda, Johnny Ponce Enrile, and even Mar Roxas are on the Garci tapes too). So let whoever that has never ran a red light, littered, bribed a traffic cop, or lied in their life be the first to cast the first stone here - and this refers to all you in both goverment and civil society sectors OK? Actually, I even secretly hoped she would cheat - and I'm sure I'm not alone here - in order to avoid an FPJ presidency (a presidency that would have ended quickly due to his death anyway.)

So having said that, I'm going to give her a chance. Hell, I'm even willing to grant her a graceful exit through charter change. Because if we tear this government down, we'll only be allowing the forces of Erap Estrada et al back into power and we don't want that do we? DO WE?

So there. Thats the way I see it and I don't care who thinks otherwise.

Yours truly at Quirino Grandstand with a non-fat latte in hand.