Wednesday, February 22, 2006

NOW LET'S PLAY A LITTLE GAME...

WHAT ON EARTH...?
To commemorate the non-event that was EDSA 1986 and the even more pathetic non-event that was this morning's pseudo coup d'etat, I shall proudly ignore them both. Instead, allow me to invite you all to play a little game once again. And the game is called: "What on earth is this?" Just last week, as I was walking on United Nations Avenue in Ermita, I happened to find this limestone and brick structure that looked like a postbox from the Flintstones cartoons at the corner of MH del Pilar. Now for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is. It's made of adobe and brick, so I guess it must date to the Spanish period and the days before cement construction technology. But what was it used for? Methinks it might be a marker for distance. Unfortunately, I don't know how far it is from Manila Cathedral (the Kilometer Zero of the Philippines before it was switched to the Rizal monument in Luneta during the Commonwealth era) so I can't be certain about it's purpose. Anyone out there have any ideas or thoughts on this?